What’s the news?
Evolution Wellness Holdings Pte. Ltd. (Evolution Wellness) has acquired the Malaysia-based CHi Fitness brand and its club operations comprising 13 clubs for an undisclosed sum. This acquisition adds a third health club brand to the Evolution Wellness Asia portfolio, which includes Celebrity Fitness and Fitness First. Evolution Wellness now owns and operates an unrivalled network of close to 170 wholly-owned clubs across Asia – the largest fitness club operator in Asia. It also presents us with opportunities to further elevate the standards of the fitness industry in Malaysia. Most importantly, we continue to be in a strong position to offer our members more choice, more value, more locations to train in, and more fitness experiences to choose from.
All three brands will continue to develop in their own right, attracting and retaining members based on their individual brand personalities and offerings. In due course we will be announcing further details on how we will leverage the even wider network of clubs in Malaysia and give members more choice.
What will change and what will stay the same?
In the immediate term, it is business as usual. Our priority remains on providing the best service and support to our members in achieving their fitness goals.
Since CHi Fitness is now under the same parent company as Celebrity Fitness and Fitness First Asia, does this mean that CHi Fitness members will be able to access the other two brand clubs, and vice versa?
The three brands continue to operate separately. However, in time we do envision offering membership options that leverage our even wider network of clubs, and allow members increased cross-brand access. We will share more information in due course.
CHi Fitness adopts both a contractual membership as well as pay-as-you-go memberships. Will Celebrity Fitness and Fitness First head down this route too?
The coming together of all three leading brands under the Evolution Wellness umbrella presents many opportunities for best practice sharing and knowledge transfer in various areas. The pay-as-you-go model is something that we have been trialling for some time; we expect to launch this option for Celebrity Fitness and Fitness First members in Malaysia in future.
Will there be a change in membership prices / packages?
For now, it is business as usual, with no change to access levels. However, in time we do expect to announce some attractive membership options that leverage the combined CHi Fitness, Celebrity Fitness and Fitness First network that all our members can look forward to. We will share more details in due course.
Will CHi Fitness members get a special rate if we migrate to Celebrity Fitness and/or Fitness First?
The prevailing Celebrity Fitness and Fitness First membership rates are available to everyone. Membership pricing will always commensurate with levels of access. However, in time we do envision offering membership options that leverage our even wider network of clubs, and allow members increased cross-brand access.
What’s the story behind the closure?
In accordance to our Prime Minister’s public announcement on 10 April 2020, with regards to nationwide movement control, businesses except those involved in essential services are to be closed until 28 April 2020. At this stage we plan to resume operations on Wednesday, 29 April 2020. This is obviously subject to any further Government rulings and we will keep you closely updated along the way.
What happens to my billing during the Movement Control Order (MCO) period?
Rest assured we will continue to support you when it comes to your membership. We will extend the freezing of your account for FREE until 28 April 2020, and when we reopen we will credit your dues for the period you have paid but were unable to exercise. This will be automatically applied to your membership and you will not need to contact us to request accordingly.
How does this work?
If you were already billed in March, the portion from 18-31 March 2020 will be carried forward to April in credit.
If your payment was in lumpsum, we will carry forward the MCO period and extend your membership for that length of time.
Will there be a deduction of membership dues in April?
No. We will only commence our billing when our clubs are back in operation.
I have a Personal Training package, what happens to my sessions and expiry date?
All personal training session packages will be extended for the same length of time as the MCO period automatically.
Can I freeze my membership for a longer period?
Yes, you can. However upon opening, our Clubs will be deemed as safe for members to enter and train, therefore freezing requests will be subject to the standard fees applicable.
What happens if the MCO period is extended again further?
We will continue to take the same approach to continue to support you as best as we can; your membership will automatically continue to be frozen for free, and your PT package extended until end of the MCO period.
I would like to cancel my membership immediately and receive a refund for the MCO period.
We can process the Cancellation request (subject to standard Terms & Conditions), however the MCO period is only provided in credit for future months, and not refunded in cash value.
What are the clubs doing to increase hygiene and in observing social distancing measures?
- We have increased the frequency and level of cleaning across all equipment and surfaces. A deep chemical clean is also underway for all the clubs in our network.
- We have also increased the quantity of disinfectant sprays available along with frequent replacement of the cleaning towels. Please use them to wipe down equipment before and after your workout.
- Hand sanitisers are available at the Front Counter of all our clubs. All members and guests are required to sanitise their hands upon entry and exit.
- We have discontinued the use of shared boxing gloves and yoga hammocks in all clubs
- All members and guests will have to undergo a temperature check upon entry. Anyone with a temperature of 37.5 degrees and above or is experiencing flu-like symptoms such as flu, fever, cough or sore throat will not be allowed access to the club. We reserve the right to decline entry or request that you leave the premises should you display any of the above symptoms, in the best interest of our members and staff.
- All club staff will also be required to undergo temperature checks three times a day.
- We have temporarily frozen all international passport privileges across the region hence international guests will not be allowed to access our club during time and vice versa.We wish to reiterate that safeguarding public health and safety is a collective responsibility and we urge all members and guests to avoid coming to the gym and seek medical attention promptly if you are feeling unwell.
We will continue to review the situation and adjust our policies as appropriate to ensure a safe and hygienic environment for all our members and staff to train at.
I have further questions regarding this, who can I speak to?
Our team is happy to serve you further during this time.
Please e-mail us at [email protected] and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
Alternatively, you can contact us from 10am-6pm on our dedicated helplines during this MCO period :
Membership Queries :
+603 – 6200 0880 / +603 – 6200 0881
Fitness Advice :
+603 – 6200 0882